Jose Reyna Lozano

A Willmar man committed suicide during an altercation with police officers Friday, May 1.

According to the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, Jose Reyna Lozano, 38, of 816 Mary Avenue Southeast in Willmar, died of suicide due to a sharp force injury to the neck.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) has identified the officers who discharged their weapons during the incident:

  • Officer Nicole Wortham, who has been with the Willmar Police Department since 2017, discharged her firearm. She was released from St. Cloud Hospital on Saturday after being treated for injuries sustained during the incident.
  • Officer Noah Maschino, who has been with the department since 2019, discharged his Taser.

Both officers are on standard administrative leave. The BCA is investigating the incident at the request of the Willmar Police Department. Portions of the incident were captured on body camera video.

Willmar police officers responded to a 911 call of a domestic incident at the home at approximately 5:40 a.m. Friday morning. Officer Wortham arrived first and located Lozano in an upstairs bedroom. He held a knife and had a box cutter to his throat. When he ignored commands to drop the weapon, Officer Wortham deployed her Taser, striking Lozano. At one point Lozano cut his throat. A struggle ensued during which Lozano stabbed Officer Wortham multiple times in the neck and shoulder. At one point, Officer Wortham discharged her gun, striking Lozano in the leg.

When Officer Maschino arrived, he located Lozano on the bedroom floor. Lozano was continuing to threaten himself and Officer Wortham with the knife. Officer Maschino tased and ultimately placed Lozano in handcuffs. At one point, Lozano lost consciousness.

Officer Maschino and additional responding officers attempted life-saving measures on both Mr. Lozano and Officer Wortham. Mr. Lozano was ultimately pronounced deceased at the scene. Officer Wortham was taken by ambulance to Carris Health-Rice Memorial Hospital in Willmar and then airlifted to St. Cloud Hospital.

At one point during the incident, a female in the home sustained a knife injury. The woman was treated at Carris Health-Rice Memorial Hospital and released.

When completed, the BCA will present its findings without recommendation to the Kandiyohi County Attorney’s Office for review.