Colonial Inn Fire, New Ulm, March 21, 2024 LBG

One person suffered minor injuries in a New Ulm motel fire Thursday afternoon. The New Ulm Fire Department stated the fire was caused by a malfunctioning lighter.

The New Ulm Fire Department responded to the Colonial Inn at 1315 North Broadway at 3:13 p.m. Crews arrived to find two units were fully involved in fire and heavy smoke was coming from the north side of the building. The fire was brought under control within a half hour, but crews remained on the scene for approximately three hours.

Building occupants all exited safely before the firefighters arrived but one person suffered a minor injury.  The Red Cross was called to assist. Three units sustained heavy fire damage and six units were damaged by smoke.