MnDOT has lifted all no travel advisories on state highways in the following four southwest Minnesota counties: McLeod, Redwood, Renville, and portions of Meeker County.
MnDOT snowplow operators are working hard to improve road conditions; however, travelers should use caution as most roads are partially or completely snow covered. Blowing and drifting snow may create intermittent whiteout conditions and slippery areas.
Safe winter driving recommendations
- Don’t drive distracted.
- Say alert for snowplows which turn or exit frequently and may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow; don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn your headlights on (not simply the automatic setting) and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Sign up for email or text travel alerts at MnDOT’s website by clicking “Email and text updates” under the “Connect with us” heading. Choose to receive messages via email or text message. Then, choose the “Southwest MN Travel Alerts” under the “Travel Alerts” category.
- Join the Southwest Minnesota Facebook group for news, events, and updates.
- Follow us on Twitter @MnDOTsouthwest for news, events, and updates.
- For real-time traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.