U.S. Highway 71 will be closed from Viking Drive to U.S. Highway 212 in Olivia beginning Monday, August 1. A detour using Renville County Roads 1 and 4 will be in place for approximately one month.
All homes and businesses along the project route will remain accessible during construction.
Work began July 18 on the project, which includes:
- Resurfacing Hwy 71 from just south of Viking Drive to the Hwy 212 intersection
- Upgrading existing sidewalk, ramps, and adjacent driveways
- Adding new sidewalk to create connections with existing sidewalk
- Replacing portions of concrete curb and gutter and underground storm pipe
- Regrading ditches and replacing several culverts
- Adding a southbound bypass lane at Viking Drive
Work zone reminders
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times