Yearly Minnesota Sheep and Lamb Numbers Unchanged From Last Year

iStock/Thinkstock

All sheep and lambs inventory in Minnesota as of January 1, 2018, totaled 130,000 head, unchanged from 2017, according to the latest USDA, National Agricultural Statistics Service – Sheep and Goats report. Total breeding stock, at 90,000 head, was 1 percent lower than a year ago. Compared with last year, market sheep and lambs increased 3 percent to 40,000 head. The lamb crop for 2017 totaled 90,000 head. Wool production for the State was 700,000 pounds, down 11 percent from last year.

All sheep and lambs inventory in the United States on January 1, 2018 totaled 5.23 million head, down slightly from 2017. Breeding sheep inventory at 3.83 million head on January 1, 2018, decreased 1 percent from 3.88 million head on January 1, 2017. Ewes one year old and older, at 3.01 million head, were 1 percent below last year. Market sheep and lambs on January 1, 2018 totaled 1.40 million head, up 2 percent from January 1, 2017. Market lambs comprised 94 percent of the total market inventory. Market sheep comprised the remaining 6 percent of total market inventory.

The 2017 lamb crop of 3.20 million head was down 2 percent from 2016. The 2017 lambing rate was 105 lambs per 100 ewes one year old and older on January 1, 2017, unchanged from 2016.

Shorn wool production in the United States during 2017 was 24.7 million pounds, down 5 percent from 2016. Sheep and lambs shorn totaled 3.44 million head, down 4 percent from 2016. The average price paid for wool sold in 2017 was $1.47 per pound for a total value of 36.4 million dollars, down 3 percent from 37.7 million dollars in 2016.

Sheep death loss during 2017 totaled 213 thousand head, down 2 percent from 2016. Lamb death loss decreased 2 percent from 373 thousand head to 367 thousand head in 2017.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Google Plus