Texas boy accidentally suffocates in Mankato changing room

The Mankato Department of Public Safety has released new information on what it calls the tragic death of a four-year-old boy.

Police say Ryu Pena was at the MVAC thrift store on Victory Drive Saturday afternoon when he went into a changing room by himself. While in the room, he apparently got his hoodie stuck on a coat hanger attached to the wall and suffocated.

Officers responded, but were unable to resuscitate the boy and he was taken to the MCHS Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police say at this point, it’s unclear how long the boy was alone in the changing room.

Officers are reviewing surveillance tape and other information, but say at this point, it’s appears to be accidental and no criminal charges are expected in connection with the incident.

An official ruling on a cause of death will come from the Ramsey County Medical Examiner.

Relatives of Ryu Pena, have set up a GoFundMe account to raise money so he can be brought to Texas for a funeral.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Google Plus