WILLMAR, Minn. – District 8 (southwest MN) staff are busy preparing for the first storm of the season. The National Weather Service out of the Twin Cities has put out the following warnings and advisories for Friday, November 18:
· Blizzard Warning for western Minnesota
· Winter Storm Warning for central Minnesota
· Winter Weather Advisory for east central Minnesota
Heavy snow and strong winds are expected to impact travel by reducing visibility and creating difficult and/or hazardous driving conditions.
MnDOT advises motorists to monitor the latest weather conditions and prepare to adjust travel plans if necessary. MnDOT staff will be out working to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
· Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511. Please remember it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
· Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
· Stay back at least five car lengths behind the snowplow, far from the snow cloud.
· Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning.
· Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
· Drive with your headlights on if it is snowing, regardless of it is day or night.
· Don’t use cruise control when roadways are wet or slippery.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html