The man whose remains were found in the rubble of a home fire in rural Brown County has now been identified. The medical examiner says the body was that of the homeowner, 64-year-old Glen Leo Mangen.
Provisional findings of the autopsy list the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation. The manner of death is listed as accidental.
Emergency crews were called to Mangen’s home at 26260 260th Street north of Sleepy Eye just after 8:00 Sunday night. Upon arrival, the first responders found the house to be fully engulfed.
A witness, 56-year-old Steven Remus, was taken by ambulance to the Sleepy Eye Medical Center where he was treated for smoke exposure, then released.
The house collapsed as a result of the blaze. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.